Skip to content
Medical students at Castle Hill Hospital, Hull

Fees and funding

Find out about tuition fees and funding opportunities for studying Medicine with us.

Tuition fees

The level of fee that you will be asked to pay depends on whether you're classed as a UK (home) or international student. Check your fee status on the University of York website.

UK (home) students

The tuition fees for 2024 entry for Medicine are £9,250 per year.

Further increases within the government fee cap will apply in subsequent academic years.

International (including EU) students

The tuition fees for 2024 entry are £43,950 per year.

The fees are for one year of study. For continuing students entering the programme in 2024 fees are subject to increase in subsequent years in line with the prevailing Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation rate (up to a maximum of 10%).

Paying tuition fees

If you wish to pay your tuition fees you will need to make tuition payments to the university you are allocated to. Tuition fees can be paid in full at the beginning of the academic year or in instalments.

How to pay fees to the University of Hull

How to pay fees to the University of York

Additional costs

You will need to buy a stethoscope, which typically costs around £85.

There can be costs for travel, parking, accommodation and living expenses when on clinical placement. These costs will vary, depending on where you go, and travel contribution schemes and bursaries are available to support you.

Details of accommodation options and costs for students in Years 1 and 2 are available from the University of York - accommodation and University of Hull - accommodation. Accommodation costs may apply for some placement locations in Years 3 to 5, but students will not be expected to maintain two sets of accommodation at the same time.

Students are required to complete an elective at the beginning of Year 5. The elective is funded by the medical student and associated costs will vary depending on the elective you choose, and whether this is overseas or in the UK.

Find out more about living costs for students from the University of Hull – affordability and University of York – living costs.

Financing your studies

Student loans and grants

UK applicants can apply for government tuition fee loans and means-tested grants through the relevant Student Finance organisation. For more information, refer to the following organisation where you currently live:

NHS Student Bursary

If you are from England or Wales, from the fifth year of your course you will be eligible for NHS funding providing you were living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 3 years before the start of your course. NHS funding does not have to be repaid.

Please see the NHS Student Bursaries and Student Finance - NHS bursaries websites for further information.

Hull York Medical School Bursary

The Hull York Medical School Bursary is aimed at UK (home) students, including graduate entrants and intercalating students. For 2024 entry, students with a residual household income of £25,000 or less are eligible for a bursary of £2,400 per year of study.

This is awarded as an accommodation discount, or a cash sum if you are not in university managed accommodation.

You do not need to apply for the bursary. When you complete your student finance application, simply tick the box giving your permission to share your information with the university.

If you are an EU student residing in the UK and are unsure if you are eligible for this bursary you can check your fee status on the University of York website.

Hull York Medical School International Excellence Scholarship

Each year we award up to four international excellence scholarships based on academic merit and financial need. Details for 2024 are to be confirmed. For 2023 entry the Scholarship was 5% of the overseas tuition fee for each year of successful study on the five-year MB BS Medicine Programme, paid as a tuition fee discount.

Medicine as a second degree

The amount of financial help you’ll get depends on whether you normally live in England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland. You can find details of funding available for graduates on the Royal Benevolent Fund website.