Student support

When you join Hull York Medical School you join a close knit community. Our aim is to ensure you get the most out of your time at medical school – developing those knowledge and skills you need to fulfil your ambitions.

We recognise that there may be times when you need support to help you manage academic or personal pressures and we are here to help.

The information on this page will guide you through the support channels available to you as a Hull York Medical School student. There is always someone available to help you, 24/7.

If you need immediate help

Wellbeing and mental health support at the University of Hull

Student Wellbeing Team

Contact the Student Wellbeing Team speak to someone the same day, in relation to your mental health and wellbeing, there will be a duty advisor available on the first floor of Student Central, for the duration of most working days.

Call: 01482 462222


Location: 1st floor of Student Central

More information: Visit the University of Hull wellbeing webpages

Let’s Talk

The University of Hull work very closely with Let's Talk, a service that can help support you with depression, low mood, worry, anxiety and panic.

Let’s Talk employ a team of trained and qualified staff, who in discussion with you, will decide what support will work best for you and your needs.

If you'd like to book an appointment with Let's Talk, you can be seen on campus. To arrange this, you will need to contact them by telephone on 01482 247111 and make them aware you're a student at the university.

Call: 01482 247111 or text TALK to 61825

More information: Visit the Let's Talk website

Wellbeing and mental health support at the University of York

College Welfare Team

You can discuss your concerns with your College Welfare Team. Each college has College Tutors to provide confidential pastoral care. They are a team of postgraduate students who live in residence within your college community and work closely with the Head and Assistant Head of College to help resolve issues or to point you in the direction of specialists. They are there to listen, support and point you to other services when needed.

Open Door

Open Door is a team of professionals providing support to students experiencing psychological or mental health difficulties. They are available Monday to Friday and during term time open until 10pm (open until 4pm during vacation time).

Call: 01904 322140


Make an appointment: Visit the University of York wellbeing webpages

Location: You can find the Open Door Team in the Sally Baldwin Buildings on Campus West


Emergency student support funding

We recognise that there may be times when students need financial advice or support – to help with budgeting or during times of financial hardship. Our Universities are here to help. From advice about making the most of your budget, to what funds might be available to you and how to apply. In recognition of the coronavirus pandemic and the impact of this on students, our Universities have also introduced emergency funding for current students who need immediate financial support. For more information please visit your University of registration’s website: the University of Hull or University of York.

24 hour support services

If you are worried about a friend

If you are concerned about another student’s health or wellbeing, please do encourage your friend to contact our Student Support Team at Hull York Medical School. You are welcome to attend an appointment with them, if they would like you to.

Alternatively, you can contact our Student Support Team and raise a concern. Please be aware that without a student’s consent, we may be limited in terms of what action we can take. However we still encourage you to report any concerns you may have, as we may still be able to support them and you.

Due to coronavirus, we are working differently - we are contactable via email only:

Information for parents

We understand that the transition to university can be a difficult time for parents and carers. We take the wellbeing of our students seriously and our programmes are centred around a supportive and encouraging learning environment. Our tutors and staff take the time to get to know our students personally and foster a supportive culture.

However, if you are worried about your child, please do talk to us. If you have any concerns with regards to their mental health and wellbeing, please contact our Student Support Team at Hull York Medical School and we’ll do our utmost to help. However, please be aware that we take the confidentiality of our students very seriously so we will only be able to share any information with you with your child’s permission.

Due to coronavirus, we are working differently - we are contactable via email only:


We take confidentiality very seriously and have measures in place to guard any information shared with and held by the medical school. Information would only be shared elsewhere with a student’s explicit consent unless there were exceptional circumstances and it was lawful to do so.