Fitness to practise

If you have any prior convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warnings that are not 'protected' as defined by the ROA 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended in 2013) by S1 2013 1198, you must inform our Admissions Tutor in writing when you apply. This means that you need only provide details to us of convictions, cautions, final warnings or reprimands which will be declared on a Disclosure and Barring Service Disclosure Notice. Please also note the disclosure requirements of the General Medical Council (GMC).

When you register with the University, you will be required to undergo an enhanced criminal records check. If this discloses any convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warnings that you haven't already told us about, you will forfeit your place.

How we use the information you provide

Information about your criminal record will not be available to the assessors who read your UCAS form, nor to your interviewers, and it will not affect how we rank your application. However, if we want to offer you a place, this offer will require the additional approval of the Hull York Medical School Fitness to Practise Committee, taking into account the full circumstances that you supply to us. In considering this information, the committee is acting on behalf of both universities and all the NHS Trusts in the Hull York Medical School area.

We cannot guarantee registration with the GMC upon successful completion of the MB BS. If you want to seek that assurance, we recommend that you look at the GMC guidelines and contact the GMC before embarking on the course.

New developments

If you incur a new criminal conviction, caution, reprimand or final warning between submitting your application and starting your course, you must inform our Admissions Tutor immediately.

International students

The above rules about fitness to practise also apply to international students. Because the UK Disclosure and Barring Service cannot access records information from overseas authorities, we ask international students to arrange for the equivalent check from their home country when they register.