Skip to content
Members of the Academy of Primary Care working at a whiteboard

Tuition fees and expenses

Find out about tuition fees and any other costs for research degrees (PhD, MD and MSc by research) at Hull York Medical School.

Tuition fees

You'll need to pay an annual tuition fee for your research degree.

The level of fee that you will be asked to pay depends on whether you're classed as a UK (Home) or International (including EU) student. Check your fee status on the University of York website.

The fees quoted are for one year of study. Fees are subject to increase in subsequent years, but this increase will be set at a maximum of two per cent in each year for continuing students. The University reserves the right to alter the level of fee.

These fee rates apply to all of our postgraduate research degrees (with the exception of the PhD or MD by Published Work).

2024-2025 entry

UK (Home):

  • Full-time: £4,786
  • Part-time: £2,393

International (including EU):

  • Full-time (laboratory based degrees): £27,900
  • Part-time (laboratory based degrees): £13,950

Continuation fees

If you need to extend your study beyond the normal period of enrolment due to unforeseen circumstances, you will be charged a continuation fee. This continuation fee will vary between £170 and £420 depending on your university of registration.

How to pay your fees

You will need to make tuition payments to your university of registration. Tuition fees can be paid in full at the beginning of the academic year or in instalments.

If you have a sponsor, you should let us know their details when you enrol. This information should be provided at the start of each year of study. Sponsors are usually expected to pay the fees in full at the start of each year.

Visit your university of registration’s website for details:

Paying fees to the University of Hull

Paying fees to the University of York

Research training support charge

Depending on the nature of your research project, an additional Research Training Support Charge (known as bench fees at some universities) may be applied. They are similar to the UK Research Councils' standard Research Training and Support Grants.

Not all research projects incur this charge. It's most common for research in laboratories or extensive fieldwork.

The charge is in addition to your tuition fee and is payable for each year of enrolment.

Please discuss whether the charge would be applicable to you with your potential supervisor prior to your application.

Living costs

You'll need to make sure you budget to make your money go further and your living costs will vary significantly depending on your lifestyle.

The University of York provides a guide to living costs in York, which will give you a rough idea of what your expenditure could be if you live in either University accommodation or private-rented accommodation.

The University of Hull also provides information about additional costs for research degrees at Hull.