We are pleased to offer two Intercalated Student Bursaries to Medicine students from UK medical schools who wish to undertake an intercalated degree at Hull York Medical School in 2024 and apply to the following programmes:
Value of the award
Each award offers £2,400 which is awarded either as an accommodation discount, or as a cash payment to support living expenses if the recipient is not in University maintained accommodation. There are two awards in total for students applying to the eligible programmes listed above.
To be considered for this award:
- You must have applied to study and hold an offer (conditional or unconditional) for the eligible programmes listed above.
- You must be paying tuition fees at the UK (home) rate. If you are not sure of your fee status visit the University of York website.
- You must be commencing your degree course in September 2024. Students who are applying in 2024 for deferred entry will not be eligible for this award but will be advised of scholarships available to them in their year of entry.
- Your household income must be below £25,000
- You must not already be in receipt of any additional funding or support to undertake an intercalated degree.
- You must have met two out of the following three following contextual data markers at the time of your application to your Undergraduate Medicine programme:
- Your home postcode was in an area of low participation (POLAR quintile 1 or 2)
- Neither of your parents had experience of higher education
- You applied for and received Student Finance England Maintenance Grant or Maintenance Loan* (full-rate), or Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) Young Students’/Independent Students’ Bursary (full-rate), or Student Finance Wales or Northern Ireland Maintenance Grant (full-rate)
*If your course started after August 2016, we will accept evidence of a full-rate means-tested Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England.
How will the bursaries be awarded?
Applicants are required to submit a statement, 1000-words maximum, which will be considered alongside their personal statement and CV.
Bursaries will be awarded to applicants based on the following:
- Understanding of and commitment to the Medical School’s values
- Commitment to their chosen field of study and to their career development
- Personal achievements
- Academic merit
- Ability to communicate in a written format
The application will also be judged on structure, presentation, relevant content and how well the brief was addressed.
How to apply
Please complete this form to apply.
Please note you must be holding an offer to study with Hull York Medical School prior to applying for the bursary.
The closing date for applications is 31 May 2024.
If you have any queries regarding the Intercalated Student Bursaries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org