Here at Hull York Medical School, we are committed to ensuring that everybody is treated fairly and according to their individual needs by translating good intentions into real changes and practices.
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (EDIC) is made up of academic staff, professional services staff and students, which together work to ensure our values are embedded throughout all of our activities.
As defined by the University of York equality, diversity and inclusion strategy, what we mean by these terms are:
- Equality: A fundamental part of a fair society in which everyone can have the best possible chance to succeed in life. (Discrimination Law Review).
- Diversity: Recognising that everyone is different in a variety of visible and non-visible ways, and that those differences are to be recognised, respected and valued.
- Inclusion: The active creation of a learning, working and social environment that is welcoming, which recognises and celebrates difference and is reflected in structures, practices and attitudes.
The role of the EDIC
The EDIC is a subcommittee of the Medical School Management Board. It is where the Medical School leadership meets with the Human Resources/Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Offices of both the Universities of Hull and York, representatives from staff networks, trade unions and student representatives.
Equality, diversity and inclusion are matters for all staff and students and we encourage anyone who wishes to raise issues or suggestions for the committee to get in touch with one of our members.
The EDIC has as its core the mission to:
- Develop strategy for equality, diversity and inclusion;
- Monitor equality, diversity and inclusion matters;
- Evaluate action and progress made in key areas of activity e.g. Athena SWAN;
- Provide support and guidance for the Medical School and our parent Universities’ equality, diversity and inclusion strategy, policies and action plans;
- Proactively advance equality and inclusive practice in our staff and student recruitment and admissions processes, in our research activity, in our teaching, within the School environment and in the experiences we offer to our academic and professional services and the student community.
Equality, diversity and inclusion factsheet