Simon is Professor in Respiratory Medicine at Hull York Medical School/ University of Hull and Consultant Physician at Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
Graduated from Edinburgh University and trained in respiratory and general medicine in Edinburgh, Fife, and the Borders. PhD in neutrophil and macrophage biology in the MRC Centre for Inflammation Research, followed by an MRC Clinician Scientist fellowship. Moved to Hull in 2008. Lead clinician for the Hull interstitial lung disease and sarcoidosis services.
Research focus is on pulmonary fibrosis and sarcoidosis. Pulmonary fibrosis (PF) is a progressive, incurable scarring disease of the lungs. Sarcoidosis is a multi-organ inflammatory disease that can cause considerable loss of quality of life and economic hardship. For both conditions, current treatments are inadequate.
My research aims to ultimately improve outcomes for patients through:
1. Basic and translational science to understand disease biology. Our work has contributed to a focus on the monocyte/ macrophage as the key cell driver of chronic sarcoidosis.
2. Multinational collaborative research to determine risk factors.
3. Clinical trials of novel and repurposed treatments, both investigator-initiated and commercial trials.
4. Clinical research to improve patients’ symptoms and quality of life, such as our award-winning partnership between respiratory medicine and Wolfson palliative care at HYMS.
Thanks to our funders:
- Asthma + Lung UK
- Sir Jules Thorn Charitable Trust
- Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research
- Boehringer Ingelheim
Year 3 clinical tutor
Years 1 and 2 MBBS lecturer
MSc Pharmacology lecturer
Deputy Academic Program Training Director, North & East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire
Specialty Research Lead for Respiratory Medicine, Yorkshire & Humber Clinical Research Network
Examination Board, Respiratory Specialist Certificate Examination, Royal College of Physicians
Associate Editor, ERJ Open Research
Trustee, Action for Pulmonary Fibrosis
Trustee, Morriston Davies Trust