Coronavirus information for students

We are committed to providing exceptional medical education and are focused on producing clinical and academic leaders of the future who are equipped with the knowledge and skills to thrive in a changing NHS landscape.

The health, safety and wellbeing of our students, staff and visitors is our priority. We, together with our Universities, have worked hard to make our campuses and teaching facilities safe and in line with national guidance around Covid-19. However, we all have a role to play in keeping ourselves and our communities safe.

The information on this page provides guidance for students at Hull York Medical School. Students should also visit the University of Hull and University of York web pages.

We are focused on ensuring all students continue to receive excellent teaching and support throughout what we know is a difficult time. We are also grateful for the continued engagement and understanding of students as we respond to the evolving Covid-19 situation.

Key information

I am a postgraduate research student – can I continue to come onto campus to conduct my research?

Specialist research facilities at Hull and York remain open for research activities. Our universities have existing risk assessment protocols in place which have been adjusted to account for Covid-19 risks. Postgraduate research students should work closely with their research supervisor who will advise if any adjustment is needed to individual research plans.

How will you ensure my safety when on campus?

We together with our Universities have undertaken comprehensive risk assessments for all of our on-campus activity. This activity will be reviewed in line with any new Covid-19 health and safety guidance. Students should look out for communications from the School and their University which will include information about the latest health and safety guidance as it arises, as well as guidance on keeping ourselves and members of our community safe. 

I have an underlying health condition, what should I do?

We recognise that members of our community might have underlying health conditions which put them at increased risk of Covid-19 and may mean they are unable to attend campus during national restrictions.  We are committed to supporting students to continue their studies. If you have any concerns, please contact the Student Support Team at   

What is the current guidance on face coverings?

Our Universities have clear guidance on face coverings. You can read the full guidance on the University of Hull and University of York websites.

Students on clinical placement should adhere to infection prevention and control guidance at their individual placement site which will include guidance on face coverings and other preventative measures and should direct any queries to their local Student Liaison Team.


Self-isolation advice and reporting

When should I self-isolate?

You must self-isolate if you:

  • have any Covid-19 symptoms (a high temperature, a new or continuous cough, loss of or change to your sense of taste or smell)
  • have tested positive for Covid-19 (you can book a test through the NHS COVID-19 app, or the Government website or by telephoning 119)
  • Share a household with someone who has symptoms or who has tested positive
  • are contacted and asked to do so either by the Medical School or your University or NHS Test and Trace
  • have travelled to the UK from a non-exempt country.

You must not come to campus or your clinical placement location and you should report to the Medical School and University that you are self-isolating.

How do I notify the Medical School or University that I am self-isolating?

If you are self-isolating for any of the reasons outlined above, you should notify us by completing the University COVID-19 self-isolation form for University of Hull or University of York.

University of Hull self-isolation form

University of York student self-isolation form

Students should also notify their programme administrator and, where relevant, their PBL Tutor/Academic Supervisor.

Medicine students in Phase II or III of their programme who are on full time clinical placement must also inform their Student Liaison Team at their clinical placement site.

All Undergraduate (UG) and Postgraduate taught (PGT) students who are unwell and not able to attend teaching sessions (including online) should also complete an illness Absence Form and email to (UG) or your programme administrator (PGT)

Anyone self-isolating should also follow Government guidance for self-isolation.

Support for remote learning

Tools to support your learning

At Hull York Medical School we use a range of tools to support your learning. From Microsoft office, to Blackboard, and Open Campus. For further information including FAQs and how to access support visit the How To website.

Can I still access the library?

Our University library services continue to be available to students, with updated support in place for online and remote learning.

For further information about the services available, opening hours please visit their websites below.

University of Hull Library Services

University of York Library Services

Student Support

What support is available for students?

Hull York Medical School is committed to supporting students as they progress through their programmes of study.

Your Academic Tutors/PBL Tutors will provide academic and pastoral support, as well as signposting to other services should you need them.

The Student Support team are also here to offer guidance and support to students they can be contacted via email at

Students can also access student support services at the University of Hull and University of York.

What wellbeing support can I access?

Students struggling with their mental health at this time can access support via the NHS and online resources from Public Health England, along with support from mental health charity Mind. In addition to this there is the OfS-funded Student Space, Every Mind Matters for adults, and Young Minds for young people.

Hull York Medical School has its own Open Door mental health practitioner Nicola Howard, who can be contacted via email at

What support is available for students with symptoms or who are self-isolating?

We are committed to supporting those students who may need to self-isolate at this time.

If you are a student in University of Hull accommodation you can find out more about support available here.

If you are a student in University of York accommodation you can find out more about support available here.

If you are a student on clinical placement, then your local Student Liaison Team will provide guidance as to the support available to you.

How can I apply for financial help?

The University of Hull and University of York offer a range of support for students experiencing financial hardship.

Find out more about the financial suport available at the University of Hull.

Find out more about the financial support available at the University of York

How can I stay connected to the Medical School community?

Hull York Medical School is a strong community and throughout recent months members of the community have come together to support each other.Students can keep up to date with what is happening at the school via the weekly HYMS at Home newsletter, as well as following #hymscommunity on social media.


What are the travel restrictions for staff and students?

For the latest UK Government travel guidance please visit the page here.


Current students

MB BS Medicine/Medicine with a Gateway Year

MB BS Medicine Phase 2

MB BS Medicine Phase 3

Postgraduate Taught and Postgraduate Research



MB BS Medicine Applicants

Postgraduate Applicants