I am an NIHR Clinical Lecturer (Post-doctoral research in cardiothoracic surgery), and Speciality Registrar (National Training Number) in Cardiothoracic Surgery in the Yorkshire & Humber Deanery.
I am a Higher Speciality Registrar (NTN) in Cardiothoracic Surgery and am due to finish my clinical training in October 2021. I completed my research Doctorate at Hull York Medical School (University of York) in 2015 in Pulmonary Hypertension and am currently continuing this laboratory research alongside clinical research in cardiothoracic surgery. Prior to this, my basic surgical training was undertaken in Leeds and Hull. My undergraduate degrees in Medicine (with Distinction) and Biomedical Sciences (1st Class Honours) were at the University of Southampton where I also completed my postgraduate Foundation Training. I grew up in Cheshire where I attended St Ambrose College.
(1) Ariyaratnam P, Mclean LA, Cale A, Chaudhry MA, Vijayan A, Richards N, Jarvis MA, Haqzad Y, Ngaage D, Cowen ME, Loubani M. Mini-extracorporeal circulation technology, conventional bypass and prime displacement in isolated coronary and aortic valve surgery: a propensity-matched in-hospital and survival analysis. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2018 Jul 1;27(1):13-19.
(2) Ariyaratnam P, Tcherveniakov P, Milton R, Chaudhuri N. Is preoperative hypercapnia a justified exclusion criterion for lung volume reduction surgery? Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2017 Feb 1;24(2):273-279.
(3) Ariyaratnam P, Bennett RT, Loubani M, Morice A. Isolated Human Perfused Lung Models to Study Ex Vivo Lung Optimization. Transplantation. 2016 Aug;100(8):e41-2.
(4) Haqzad Y, Loubani M, Chaudhry M, Ariyaratnam P, Briffa N. Multicentre, propensity-matched study to evaluate long-term impact of implantation technique in isolated aortic valve replacement on mortality and incidence of redo surgery. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2016 May;22(5):599-605.
(5) Ariyaratnam P, Alibhai A, Saleh A, Rusling L, Cowen ME. The Left Thoracotomy Approach for Oncologic Esophageal Resection Is Still Relevant for the Modern Surgical Trainee. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Oct;100(4):1515-6.
(6) Ariyaratnam P, Vijayan A, Cale AR, Cowen ME, Haqzad Y, Balasubramanian S, Loubani M. Long-term prognosis and a prediction model for acute bowel ischaemia following cardiac surgery. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2015 Sep;21(3):336-41.
(7) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Griffin SC. Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement: Comparison of long-term outcomes. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2015 Sep;23 (7):814-21.
(8) Ariyaratnam P, Biddulph J, Loubani M, Howarth M, Chaudhry M, Hong V, Ananthasayanam A. Validation of the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre (ICNARC) scoring system in a UK adult cardiac surgery population. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015 Jun;29(3):565-9.
(9) Ariyaratnam P, Kotidis K, Loubani M. Tricuspid valve surgery is an independent risk factor in long-term survival in surgery for infective endocarditis. . Int J Cardiol. 2014 Oct 20;176(3):1132-3.
(10) Ariyaratnam P. Iatrogenic lung injury on radiological evidence: is it always wise to blindly follow the image? Injury. 2014 Dec;45(12):2117-8.
(11) Pattenden HA, Leung M, Beddow E, Dusmet M, Nicholson AG, Shackcloth M, Mohamed S, Darr A, Naidu B, Iyer S, Marchbank A, Greenwood A, West D, Granato F, Kirk A, Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Lim E; on behalf of the UK Thoracic Surgery Collaborative. Test performance of PET-CT for mediastinal lymph node staging of pulmonary carcinoid tumours. Thorax. 2015 Apr;70(4):379-81.
(12) Ariyaratnam P, McLean LA, Cale AR, Loubani M. Extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation for the post-cardiotomy patient. Heart Fail Rev. 2014 Nov;19(6):717-25.
(13) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Griffin SC, Cowen ME, Vijayan A, Jarvis MA, Cale RJ Complex aortic surgery in a regional UK centre. Should the UK now adopt a USA-style super centre model? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014 Oct;148(4):1428-1434.
(14) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Cale RJ, Chaudhry MA, Cowen ME, Jarvis MA, Griffin SC, Morice AH. The effect of deep hypothermia on the human pulmonary circulation. Journal of Thermal Biology Volume 40, February 2014, Pages 20–24
(15) Ariyaratnam P, McLean LA, Kotidis K, Loubani M. Thromboelastography platelet mapping for surgical patients: lessons from cardiac surgery. J Orthop Traumatol. 2014 Mar;15(1):71-2.
(16) Qadri SS, Jarvis M, Ariyaratnam P, Chaudhry MA, Cale AR, Griffin S, Cowen ME, Loubani M. Could Thoracoscore predict postoperative mortality in patients undergoing pneumonectomy? Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014 May;45(5):864-9.
(17) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Morice AH. Hydrogen sulphide vasodilates human pulmonary arteries: a possible role in pulmonary hypertension? Microvasc Res. 2013 Nov;90:135-7.
(18) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Morice AH. Hypoxic Pulmonary Vasoconstriction in Humans. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:623684. Epub 2013 Aug 20. Review.
(19) Ariyaratnam P. Twilight of the gods. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013 Sep;146(3):727-8.
(20) Ariyaratnam P, Bennett RT, McLean LA, Jagannadham KK, Turner E, Griffin S, Chaudhry MA, Loubani M. Antegrade rapid prime displacement in elective coronary artery surgery is associated with lower perioperative blood transfusions and a shorter hospital stay. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013 Sep;17(3):485-91
(21) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Bennett R, Griffin S, Chaudhry MA, Cowen ME, Guvendik L, Cale AR, Morice AH. Hyperoxic vasoconstriction of human pulmonary arteries: a novel insight into acute ventricular septal defects. ISRN Cardiol. 2013 Mar 31;2013:685735
(22) Ariyaratnam P, Javangula K, Papaspyros S, McCrum-Gardner E, Nair RU. Long-term survival from 801 adjunctive coronary endarterectomies in diffuse coronary artery disease. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012 Dec;42(6):e140-5.
(23) Ariyaratnam P, Cartwright N, Arnold A, Cowen M. Spontaneous pneumothorax after traumatic pneumonectomy: a role for talc pleurodesis in secondary prevention? Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Jul;92(1):e7-9
(24) Ariyaratnam P, J Cooke, D Dasgupta, K Wedgwood Benign Pathologies necessitating a Whipple’s procedure: A cautionary tale Journal of Surgical Case Reports 2011 2;7
(25) Ariyaratnam P, Bland M, Loubani M. Risk factors and mortality associated with deep sternal wound infections following coronary bypass surgery with or without concomitant procedures in a UK population: a basis for a new risk model? Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010 Nov;11(5):543-6. doi: 10.1510/icvts.2010.237883. Epub 2010 Aug 25.
(26) Ariyaratnam P EWTD directive: A prospective Trainee’s view Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Newsletter
Co-Supervisor to Dr Nabil Hussein's Medical Doctorate at Hull York Medical School and University of Toronto looking at 3D Modelling in congenital Heart Disease (2018-2020).
(1) American Heart Association, New Orleans Abstract 17707: Urgent And Emergency Cardiac Surgery Can Safely be Performed by Residents-in-training Without Compromising Long-term Survival. Priyadharshanan Ariyaratnam, Mahmoud Loubani. Circulation Supplement Online (Circulation. 2016;134:A17707).
(2) American Heart Association, New Orleans Abstract 14054: Pre-operative Severe Pulmonary Hypertension is an Independent Predictor of Adverse Short and Long-term Outcomes in Cardiac Surgery. Priyadharshanan Ariyaratnam, Mahmoud Loubani. Circulation Supplement Online (Circulation. 2016;134:A14054).
(3)American Heart Association, Orlando, Abstract 11585: Long-term Survival of Stroke and Acute Delirium Following Cardiac Surgery is Compromised: Validation of a Prediction Model for Neurological Outcomes. Priyadharshanan Ariyaratnam, Mahmoud Loubani, Ajith Vijayan. Circulation Supplement online (Circulation. 2015;132:A11585).
(4) Long-term outcomes between mini-bypass, prime displacement and conventional bypass in a propensity matched analysis P. Ariyaratnam, L. Mclean, A. Cale, M. Chaudhry, Y. Haqzad, J. Lodhia, , M. Cowen, M. Loubani. 31st EACTS Annual Meeting Oct 2017, Vienna, Austria.
(5) Impact of Trainee-led Thoracoscopic Lobectomies On Patient Outcomes. P. Ariyaratnam, R. Milton, N. Chaudhuri, E. Kefaloyannis, P. Tcherveniakov. Oral Presentation to be presented at 30th EACTS Annual Meeting - 1-5 Oct 2016, Barcelona, Spain