Professor Morice is Head of Respiratory Medicine and the Centre for Cardiovascular & Metabolic Research (CCMR) at HYMS, based at the University of Hull. He is also an Honorary Consultant Physician at Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.
Respiratory Medicine forms part of the CCMR's focus, and consists of a number of sections: Respiratory; Cardiology; Diabetes & Endocrinology; and Vascular Surgery. The Centre aims to improve the therapeutics of the common conditions in each of these speciality areas through basic research, clinical trials and the application of these studies to clinical practice. As Head of Department, Professor Morice is responsible for the administration and strategic direction of the department.
Professor Morice specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of cough, and runs the Hull Cough Clinic. He also runs the Hull Respiratory Clinical Trials Unit, specialising in the treatment of asthma and COPD.
The Hull Cough Clinic is one of the largest centres within Europe, with an international pattern of referral. Unique investigational strategies provide diagnosis and treatment advances, which are incorporated into national and international guideline documents.
Professor Morice has led the European Respiratory Society and British Thoracic Society Taskforces on Cough.
- Hamad GA, Crooks M, Morice AH. The value of telehealth in the early detection of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations: A prospective observational study. Health Informatics J. 2015.
- Hart SP, Morice AH. Radiotherapy for extensive stage small-cell lung cancer. Lancet. 2015;385(9975):1292.
- Morice AH, Millqvist E, Belvisi MG, Bieksiene K, Birring SS, Chung KF, et al. Cough hypersensitivity syndrome: clinical measurement is the key to progress. Eur Respir J. 2015;45(5):1509-10.
- Song WJ, Chang YS, Faruqi S, Kim JY, Kang MG, Kim S, et al. The global epidemiology of chronic cough in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Respir J. 2015;45(5):1479-81.
- Chamberlain SA, Garrod R, Douiri A, Masefield S, Powell P, Bucher C, et al. The impact of chronic cough: a cross-sectional European survey. Lung. 2015;193(3):401-8.
- Morgan K, Sadofsky LR, Morice AH. Genetic variants affecting human TRPA1 or TRPM8 structure can be classified in vitro as 'well expressed', 'poorlyexpressed' or 'salvageable'. Biosci Rep. 2015 Sep 1;35(5).
- Crooks MG, Hayman Y, Innes A, Williamson J, Wright CE, Morice AH. Objective Measurement of Cough Frequency During COPD Exacerbation Convalescence. Lung. 2016 Feb;194(1):117-20.
- Morice AH. Over-the-counter cough medicines: New approaches. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2015 Dec;35:149-51.
- Chamberlain SA, Garrod R, Douiri A, Masefield S, Powell P, Bücher C, Pandyan A, Morice AH, Birring SS. Erratum to: The Impact of Chronic Cough: A Cross-Sectional European Survey. Lung. 2015 Aug;193(4):615.
- Faruqi S, Morice AH. Cough reduction using capsaicin: An alternative mechanistic hypothesis. Respir Med. 2015 Jul;109(7):926.
- Morice AH, Millqvist E, Belvisi MG, Bieksiene K, Birring SS, Chung KF, Dal Negro RW, Dicpinigaitis P, Kantar A, McGarvey LP, Pacheco A, Sakalauskas R, Smith JA. Cough hypersensitivity syndrome: clinical measurement is the key to progress. Eur Respir J. 2015 May;45(5):1509-10.
- Morice AH. Combating cough. NPJ Prim Care Respir Med. 2016 Mar 3;26:16012.
- Atkinson SK, Sadofsky LR, Morice AH. How does rhinovirus cause the common cold cough? BMJ Open Respir Res. 2016 Jan 13;3(1):e000118.
- Fahim A, Crooks MG, Morice AH, Hart SP. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and Prothrombotic State. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Feb 1;193(3):341-2.
- Song WJ, Chang YS, Faruqi S, Kang MK, Kim JY, Kang MG, Kim S, Jo EJ, Lee SE, Kim MH, Plevkova J, Park HW, Cho SH, Morice AH. Defining Chronic Cough: A Systematic Review of the Epidemiological Literature. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res. 2016 Mar;8(2):146-55.
- Strugala V, Woodcock AD, Dettmar PW, Faruqi S, Morice AH. Detection of pepsin in sputum: a rapid and objective measure of airways reflux. Eur Respir J. 2016 Jan;47(1):339-41.
- Zeybel GL, Pearson JP, Krishnan A, Bourke SJ, Doe S, Anderson A, Faruqi S, Morice AH, Jones R, McDonnell M,Zeybel M, Dettmar PW, Brodlie M, Ward C. Ivacaftor and symptoms of extra-oesophageal reflux in patients with cystic fibrosis and G551D mutation. J Cyst Fibros. 2016 Jul 27. pii:S1569-1993(16)30561-6.
Professor Morice is a member of the following professional bodies:
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Thoracic Society
- British Pharmacological Society
- European Respiratory Society
- American Thoracic Society
Profesor Morice has collaborated with a wide range of national and international institutions and companies.