(1) Southampton Medical School 2007
(2) Intercalated BSc 2006
(3) MRCS 2010
(4) MENSA 2011
(5) European Young Investigator (EACTS) 2012
My Medical Doctorate project is looking at the vasoactivity of human pulmonary arteries in both isolated ring and perfused whole lung models to establish factors that may contribute to pulmonary hypertension. The research is a collaboration between HYMS (under Professor Alyn Morice) and the cardiothoracic department at Castle Hill Hospital (under Mr Loubani).
- Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Morice AH. Hydrogen sulphide vasodilates human pulmonary arteries: a possible role in pulmonary hypertension? Microvasc Res. 2013 Sep 12. doi:pii: S0026-2862(13)00155-6. 10.1016/j.mvr.2013.09.002. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Morice AH. Hypoxic Pulmonary Vasoconstriction in Humans. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:623684. Epub 2013 Aug 20. Review.
- Ariyaratnam P.Twilight of the gods. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013 Sep;146(3):727-8.
- Ariyaratnam P, Bennett RT, McLean LA, Jagannadham KK, Turner E, Griffin S, Chaudhry MA, Loubani M. Antegrade rapid prime displacement in elective coronary artery surgery is associated with lower perioperative blood transfusions and a shorter hospital stay.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013 Sep;17(3):485-91
- Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Bennett R, Griffin S, Chaudhry MA, Cowen ME, Guvendik L, Cale AR, Morice AH. Hyperoxic vasoconstriction of human pulmonary arteries: a novel insight into acute ventricular septal defects. ISRN Cardiol. 2013 Mar 31;2013:685735
- Ariyaratnam P, Javangula K, Papaspyros S, McCrum-Gardner E, Nair RU.Long-term survival from 801 adjunctive coronary endarterectomies in diffuse coronary artery disease. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012 Dec;42(6):e140-5.
- Ariyaratnam P, Cartwright N, Arnold A, Cowen M. Spontaneous pneumothorax after traumatic pneumonectomy: a role for talc pleurodesis in secondary prevention? Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Jul;92(1):e7-9
- Ariyaratnam P, J Cooke, D Dasgupta, K Wedgwood Benign Pathologies necessitating a Whipple’s procedure: A cautionary tale Journal of Surgical Case Reports 2011 2;7
- Ariyaratnam P, Bland M, Loubani M. Risk factors and mortality associated with deep sternal wound infections following coronary bypass surgery with or without concomitant procedures in a UK population: a basis for a new risk model? Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010 Nov;11(5):543-6. doi: 10.1510/icvts.2010.237883. Epub 2010 Aug 25.
Anatomy demonstration at HYMS