2002: B.Sc. in Veterinary Medicine, El-Fatah University, Tripoli, Libya.
2004: MSc in Biomedical Sciences, University of Bradford, UK.
2011: PhD in Biomedical Sciences, HYMS, University of Hull, UK.
My research interests focus on understanding the role of blood platelets in health and disease.The models that I use vary from the established platelet aggregation, in suspension and under flow, to in vivo thrombus formation and adoptive transfer protocols
1. Aburima A, Walladbegi K, Wake J and Naseem KM. “cGMP signalling inhibits platelet shape change through regulation of the RhoA-Rho Kinase-MLC phosphatase signalling pathway”. J Thromb Haemost-in press.
1. Raslan Z, Magwenzi S, Aburima A, Taskén K, Naseem KM."Targeting of type I protein kinase A to lipid rafts is required for platelet inhibition by the 3',5'-cyclic adenosine monophosphate-signaling pathway.” J Thromb Haemost. 2015 Sep;13(9):1721-34.
2. Kahal H, Aburima A, Ungvari T, Rigby AS, Coady AM, Vince RV, Ajjan RA, Kilpatrick ES, Naseem KM, Atkin SL. “The effects of treatment with Liraglutide on atherothrombotic risk in obese young women with polycystic ovary syndrome and controls.” BMC Endocr Disord. 2015 Apr 2;15:14.
3. Magwenzi S, Woodward C, Wraith KS, Aburima A, Raslan Z, Jones H, McNeil C, Wheatcroft S, Yuldasheva N, Febbriao M, Kearney M, Naseem KM. “Oxidised LDL activates blood platelets through CD36-NADPH oxidase-mediated inhibition of the cGMP/Protein kinase G signalling cascade.” Blood. 2015 Apr 23;125(17):2693-703.
1. Spurgeon BE, Aburima A, Oberprieler NG, Taskén K, Naseem KM. “Phosphospecific flow cytometry for large-scale signaling profiling and drug screening in human platelets.” J Thromb Haemost. 2014 Oct;12(10):1733-43.
2. Aye MM, Kilpatrick ES, Aburima A, Wraith KS, Magwenzi S, Spurgeon B, Rigby AS, Sandeman D, Naseem KM, Atkin SL. “Acute hypertriglyceridemia induces platelet hyperactivity that is not attenuated by insulin in polycystic ovary syndrome.” J Am Heart Assoc. 2014 Feb 28;3(1):e000706.
1. Aburima A, Wraith KS, Raslan Z, Law R, Magwenzi S, Naseem KM. “cAMP signalling regulates platelet myosin light chain phosphorylation and shape change through targeting of the RhoA-Rho Kinase signalling pathway.” Blood. 2013 Nov 14;122(20):3533-4.
2. Wraith KS, Magwenzi S, Aburima A, Wen Y, Leake D, Naseem KM. “Oxidized low-density lipoproteins induce platelet activation and shape change through a novel CD36-RhoA/Rho kinase dependent pathway.” Blood. 2013 Jul 25;122(4):580-9.
3. Kahal H, Aburima A, Ungvari T, Rigby A, Dawson A, Coady AM, Vince RV, Ajjan RA, Kilpatrick ES, Naseem KM, Atkin SL. “Polycystic ovary syndrome has no independent effect on vascular, inflammatory or thrombotic markers when matched for obesity.” Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2013 Aug;79(2):252-8.
1. Roberts W, Magwenzi S, Aburima A, Naseem KM. “Thrombinspondin-1 induces platelet activation through CD36-dependent inhibition of the cAMP/Protein kinase A signalling cascade.” Blood. 2010 Nov 18;116(20):4297-306.
2. Aburima A, Riba R, Naseem KM. “Peroxynitrite causes phosphorylation of vasodilator stimulated phosphoprotein through PKC-and PKG dependent mechanisms." Platelets. 2010;21(6):421-8.
1. Roberts W, Michno A, Aburima A, Naseem KM. "Nitric oxide inhibits von Willebrand factor-mediated platelet adhesion and spreading through regulation of integrin alpha(IIIb)beta and myosin light chain." J Thromb Haemost. 2009 Dec;7(12):2106-15.
1. Riba R, Patel B, Aburima A, Naseem KM. "Globular adiponectin increases cGMP formation in blood platelets independently of nitric oxide." J Thromb Haemost. 2008 Dec;6(12):2121-31.
1. Raslan Z, Aburima A, Naseem KM. “The Spatiotemporal Regulation of cAMP Signaling in Blood Platelets-Old Friends and New Players.” Front Pharmacol. 2015 Nov 10;6:266.
2. Aburima A, Naseem KM. “Platelet myosin light chain phosphatase: keeping it together.” Biochem Soc Trans. 2014 Apr;42(2):279-83.