HYMS has beaten its fundraising target of raising £10,000 in its 10th anniversary year by achieving a grand total of £10,130 following the completion of the final event – the HYMS@TEN Grand Raffle draw.
This is a fantastic effort and the money raised will now be divided between the charities originally voted for by staff in autumn 2012. Half will be shared between local hospices in the HYMS region in recognition of the support and excellent teaching they provide for HYMS students and the other half will go towards enhanced bursaries and scholarships for students as part of the medical school's commitment to them.
“This is a really fantastic effort,” said HYMS Dean Trevor Sheldon. “I’d just like to say a big thank you to all who have worked hard to raise all this money during the last year.”
The money was raised through all kinds of events organised by individuals and groups of staff which included pyjama days, bottle and cake stalls, 24-hour cycle challenges, Dragon Boat races, 10K races and many other activities.
The final event of HYMS@TEN was a Grand Raffle Draw which took place on Thursday 20 February. Winners are as follows:
- A mini cruise to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge, courtesy of P&O Ferries: Calie Pistorius
- An indulgent stay at the Acer Guesthouse in York: Una Macleod
- A gourmet meal for two at trendy Café No 8 in York: Judith Battersby
- A visit to The Deep in Hull for a family of four: Sarah Moffatt
- A round of golf with three friends at Forest Pines Gold Resort, Brigg: Simon Ndhlovu
- A family visit to the Jorvik Centre in York: Martin Stocks
- A visit to The Deep in Hull for a family of four: Emma Peacock
- A trip to Ripon races: Pat Escreet
- A night at the pictures for two at City Screen in York: Helen Berrieman
- A visit to The Deep in Hull for a family of four: Clare McKinlay
- A family visit to Castle Howard: Alistair Cunningham
- Afternoon chocolate tea for two at the Cocoa House in York: Prof John Hay
- A visit to The Deep in Hull for a family of four: Charles Sanders
- Two tickets for a performance at York Theatre Royal: Roxana Freeman
- A £10 gift card to spend at Browns department store in York: Mrs S Benson
- A funky height chart from Snowhome of York: Aziz Asghar
- An arty glass scent bottle and dropper from Pyramid Gallery: Niki Harris
- A bag of cycle spares from Fulford Cycles: Gavin Hodgson
- HYMS Hamper: Julia Fletcher
- HYMSatTEN t-shirt & pen: Dr Ben Snowden, Peter Knapp, Jean McKendree, Andy Kardasz, Sarah Mussared, Graham Low, Claire Foster, Alison Woods, David Duncan, Andrew Taylor, Ivor Davies
Many thanks to everyone who took part and all those who donated prizes!